Bulldogs Raise over $800 for American Lung Association
In preparation for the American Lung Association’s (ALA) 2014 Fight for Air 5K Run/Walk, team members from Methodist Healthcare Ministries’ (MHM) School Based Health Centers (SBHC), alongside Krueger Elementary and Marion Elementary staff and faculty, held a penny drive to promote awareness of asthma and lung disease and to support the Bulldogs for Better Breathing – MHM’s official team at the event. In addition to the $2,500 contributed by MHM as a bronze sponsor for the Fight for Air 5K, over $800 was raised by the team during the two-week drive—which included a penny drive supported by the students at each school campus. As congratulations, the winning classrooms from both campuses will receive ice cream on behalf of Communities in Schools and the SBHC will present the top fundraising class with a trophy.
On April 26, 2014 – in what marks the SBHC’s 5th consecutive year participating in the ALA 5K – all 47 members of the Bulldogs for Better Breathing team took to the track at SeaWorld® San Antonio. The team enjoyed an early breakfast before departing by charter bus to the theme park. Each family member received an MHM backpack filled with snacks, a pedometer, and educational health information and gift items to keep them on target during their trek. Many of the families took advantage of the additional events taking place in connection with the ALA 5K, including a free health fair and massages. It was fun-filled day for team members and their families alike.
Each year, both MHM team members and members of the communities in which we serve look forward to MHM-sponsored events such as the ALA Fight for Air 5K. “These opportunities provide us with a chance to connect with our patients and community members in a meaningful way. It’s a way for us to walk the talk—literally,” explains Wanda Thiele, Bulldogs team captain.
MHM would like to extend a special thank you to the following volunteers who helped to make this year’s team effort a success:
- Wanda T., team captain and event organizer, for her leadership and enthusiasm for this event.
- Alicia H., co-captain, for her help to make the event flow more smoothly, assistance with the penny drive, and organizing the families during the event.
- Sonia F. and Cynthia M., volunteers (front office), for contacting families and helping to prepare team backpacks and t-shirts.
- Debra I. and Victor R., volunteers, for registering families and helping on the day of the event.
- Jae K., volunteer, for her photography and the team’s #1 fundraiser.
- Rhonda S., volunteer, for picking up the food for the event and ensuring the team was nourished.
To view the Bulldogs for Better Breathing team page or to donate to the team, click here.
About the Methodist Healthcare Ministries’ School Based Health Centers
The School Based Health Centers are a mission of the Methodist Healthcare Ministries of South Texas, Inc. and provide pediatric primary healthcare and dental services and counseling and case management to children enrolled in the Marion and Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City Independent School Districts, as well as their siblings up to age 21.